Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Godless

godlessI had a completely inappropriate conversation with one of my employees recently. We were talking about religion and he asked me if I thought the Bible was real, or just a collection of stories. Before I can stop myself I tell him that they are just nice stories.

He gives me two thumbs up and says "so you don't believe in god."

Yesterday, another employee walks through my office and we start talking about scientologist's. She was commenting on how fanatical and crazy they are. I said that the same could be said of people like her -- I consider her pretty religious.

I'm just amazed about how free I am lately with the fact that I'm atheist. That isn't to say that I have no faith. I just do not believe in a supernatural spirit that lords over people.

I'm sure this causes some people to think I'm some sort of freak or something and I used to worry about this. No more. I figure that if I have to listen to all the religious rhetoric all over the place, I can share my thoughts as well.

3 comments:

Natalia said...

Yaay! Finally. Atheist is not a bad word. I am proud to be a logical and happy atheist. Welcome to the club.

SS said...

I have had that same thought about people who insult Scientology and yet are very Christian themselves. It baffles me.

Anonymous said...

You may not be as proud on judgement day..but hey, that's just me thinking logically.