Monday, January 21, 2008

Why Work Functions Suck

I really despise going to work functions, and quite honestly, I usually skip them altogether when I can. I haven't been to a holiday party of a summer picnic in probably eight years (and I've worked here 10).

I did go to one on Saturday night. As a congratulations for a great year, the boss gave the managers and their spouses a day at the spa or a round of golf at a nice resort. There was dinner and a hospitality suite and we stayed over night. All in all, a really nice time. The Mrs. and I had massages and stuff and dinner was nice.

In the hospitality suite, I spoke to the people I normally speak with at work, and met their spouses, and they spoke with the Mrs. But there were at least three rude ass people who wanted to bug me about work.

First is the resident Greek. He asks me outside to smoke a cigarette and I'm happy to join him... until he starts in about the access points that are down. Fortunately, my appointment for my massage in in five minutes so I hastily leave him with half a cigarette.

When I get back to the hospitality suite after my massage, Tall Paul accosts me. Thankfully Jeff is there to stop him -- my hero!

Finally, FrankieQ wants to bug me about laptops. No introduction to his wife, no hey what did you do today, just what about those laptops. Yeah, I tell him, I'll be working on those, MONDAY.

So the way I see it, one of two things is going on here, they either don't care to get to know me, or they think that by discussing work with me is showing that they are interested in getting to know me.

I always assume the that it is the first case, and immediately switch off and they earn the asshole designation. Maybe I should somehow redirect the conversation and let them know that I am not socially inept.

3 comments:

Natalia said...

Golf and massages? Are you kidding me? I'd love those. You feel about these things the way I feel about weddings. But if any wedding came with a free massage and a round of golf, I'd have less issues with it.

-N

Paul said...

I just really resent having to spend time with people who don't really care about me, and about whom I couldn't care less when I could be with my family having a good time - instead of listening to whiners.

So you're right, like you with the wedding thing.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with how you feel as well. If I was given the same opportunity to have a little R&R from work but given to me as a gift from work. I still don't see it right as a reason to discuss work. The whole point of it was to be a "Break from work". Sometimes I just don't understand certain people ethics.