Friday, June 22, 2007

YouTube on AppleTV... who cares?

So I read this article yesterday about the update to the AppleTV software that allows you to watch YouTube videos. Not really any YouTube, just those that have been converted to the proper format.

Yeah this is kind of cool, but what about some of the more important things, like broader format support? This is why I sent mine back -- gigabytes of video that the thing wouldn't play. There a plenty of hacks out there to make it play more formats, but unfortunately I'm a PC guy and everything I found to hack mine required a MAC. The other option is to convert those videos into the supported format. Tried that too, and it took about four hours to convert a one hour show, and then it was the size of an iPod screen on my 42" plasma TV. Uh, not acceptable.

So anyway, Apple needs to support standard video formats on AppleTV, just the same as iPod supports standard music formats -- my iPod will happily play an mp3, so why can't ATV play an mpeg?

Besides, I really don't see my family watching TV this way, searching YouTube for something to watch that lasts a few minutes at best...Come on Apple, you can do better than this.

4 comments:

Natalia said...

Did I tell you I have a MacBook Pro? I do...I do :)

-N

Paul said...

My next computer purchase will definatly be a MAC

SS said...

This is why I'm not an early adopter ;)

Anonymous said...

Just break down and get a Mac. You know you want to.