Thursday, June 21, 2007

Put the blackberry down and back away slowly...

I know I should love them, and in theory they are a really handy tool. Still, do we need to be so connected that we can't drive home without glancing at our e-mail, or sit through dinner with the family, or have the courtesy to  sit through a meeting without e-mailing the guy across the room?

Worse yet is when someone knows you have it. This seems to entitle them to expect instant responses to their requests. I mean come on, you have anytime anywhere access to your e-mail so you can certainly respond RIGHT NOW.

A couple of weeks ago my boss suggested I get one. My work frequently takes me away from my office, and she feels I should have one to keep in touch.

Boss: You need a blackberry

Me: Not really

Boss: You're away from you desk a lot

Me: Yeah, but I make time throughout the day to check my e-mail. Besides, if something requires my immediate attention, doesn't that merit a phone call?

Boss: I suppose

Me: Another thing. I give better customer service when I am focused on my customer... and not my newest e-mail

Me -- to myself: Please. The last time I checked, I set my own priorities -- not some little black box attached to my hip. This is why I will not have one, fire me if you need to, but keep your crackberry.

 

-----------------------------------

Sent from my old fashioned hard wired clunky desktop pc

7 comments:

Natalia said...

One of the professors I supervise, doesn't have a internet access at home or a cell phone.

We still manage, believe it or not.

You work hard enough. You don't need to be tied down.

Say no to crack.

-N

Natalia said...

a internet access??

I should not comment before I have my caffeinated tea.

-N

Merritt Fields said...

I wouldn't want to be that accessible...I like to hide out occasionally.

SS said...

I've had that same exact discussion with 2 bosses now. So far it's worked for me but there may be a day I can hide no longer.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul, this is your boss.

YOU'RE FIRED!!!

Paul said...

Anon-
(SpeedRacer)- You can't fire me on my own blog.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.