Monday, August 20, 2007

Found it!

I must have been in sixth grade. I was watching HBO one Sunday morning and this movie came on. I only ever saw it the one time, but it stuck with me. breakinglassI was too young then to go to the video or record store to try and buy it, so it just lingered in the back of my mind. Not the movie so much as the music. So by the time I was old enough to be able to procure such things for myself I looked high and low for this movie. By this time, it was out of print.

So I finally found it and was able to download it at http://tf.org YES! Five hours later, I'm watching this movie that has eluded me for 15 years.

Breaking Glass is the story of a band (called Breaking Glass) becoming successful in 1980's London. It is pretty typical of these sorts of stories, starting out, paying dues, success and the pitfalls associated with it, and finally the fall from grace. Some may say that the movie is just bad, and granted, the acting isn't the best ever, but hey, I like the story, it moves along well, and it doesn't put me to sleep.

The big thing about this movie is the music. It is like Purple Rain. Love or hate the movie, you can not deny the power of the music. So powerful is the music in Breaking Glass that after only one listen (the first time I heard it) the phrase give 'em an inch, ALWAYS evokes that song from the movie in my head. 

Give me an inch, and I'll take me a mile
Give me the distance from your supercilious smile

breakingglass2

2 comments:

Lucy Dee said...

Yeah, I have a guilty pleasure about bad B-movies. I, for one, really like Hackers (1995), SO SHOOT ME! Geez! The soundtrack is badass!

Also, Real Genius (1985), with Val Kilmer, Johnny Dangerously (1984), with Michael Keaton... oh, and don't get me into bad TV from the 80s and 90s! We'll be here forever!

Hello, my name is Lucy and I have an affliction for bad B-Movies. SO SHOOT ME!

Paul said...

Lucy- thanks for stopping by! How about Johnny Mnemonic(1995)?